A to Z April Challenge Theme Reveal

atoz-theme-reveal-2015 Well, I’m a little late to the starting line for a March 23rd Theme Reveal for the A to Z Blogfest Challenge. I only just read about this a few minutes ago, though, and it sounds super fun. So I’m going to announce my theme anyway!

I will be writing in the young adult thriller genre. Letters and daily posts will follow the life of seventeen-year-old April Turner, who hates the fact that she is named after a month. April Fools Day is always the worst day of her year and from the start, 2015 seems like no exception. She would hope for her luck to improve, but hope can hurt worse than April Fools jokes. Her day starts off with “A” for audience…at midnight, while she’s still asleep. Things happen quickly from there, with “B” for bang! You get the idea, and I don’t want to spoil any surprises.

If you’ve been following my other narratives, The Tramp (paranormal mystery) and Catchpenny (coming of age, romance), you will recognize the setting for this A to Z story: Shirley County. This is my fictional small town in the Appalachian mountains. Characters and timelines will overlap in all three works.

This will be my first try at flash fiction, or micro fiction, and I’ll be keeping each post to under 300 words. They will be in serial, but each installment should also stand up as a tiny story in it’s own right. I’ve already started and I have to say, this is a tough assignment. I must be a masochist deep down, but I think I’m up to the challenge. It can only make me a better writer!

Here’s my working cover:

bookcover

9 comments for “A to Z April Challenge Theme Reveal

1. March 26, 2015 at 8:11 am

This does sound like a lot of fun for your readers and a lot of work for you. Good luck!

• March 26, 2015 at 12:23 pm

I’m hoping it will be fun, and a good exercise for me. Brush up my chops!

• March 27, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Thank your for following my blog. I hope that you will like my writing in A to Z Challenge and beyond.

2. March 27, 2015 at 5:50 pm

Sounds like it’ll be a fun month. Looking forward to seeing your entries.

• March 27, 2015 at 5:55 pm

Thanks, John. I just checked out yours and I will definitely be following it–cool concept!

3. March 28, 2015 at 8:39 pm

Good luck with the a-z, enjoy your theme. Always nice to meet new bloggers. The blonde in the picture made me think of Shirley Temple, lol must be the girlie hair.

• March 28, 2015 at 8:45 pm

Oh, I love that, Sandy! I hope others see Shirley Temple in her, too. It would lend a terrific sense of irony. She looks to be from that era (when females were allowed to have a little more flesh on them), and yes, the curls. The setting of the story is a small, secluded mountain town, sort of lost in time, so this girl was a perfect fit for the cover.

4. March 29, 2015 at 9:44 pm

Sounds like a great idea! Have a great A to Z month! I am behind in my theme reveal, it will post tomorrow (3/30), but I am cruising around the list to see what others are up to this year. Lots of great stuff! 😃

• March 30, 2015 at 1:26 pm

Thanks! I’ll look for your theme reveal tomorrow–this is such a fun challenge, isn’t it?